Wednesday, September 2, 2009

True Life Weddings NJ Style: First Edition

I just got a call from a vendor to remain unnamed. Said vendor called me last week to ask if I was in need of photography or videography services for our wedding. I politely told this vendor that I appreciated the call, but that we'd booked a photographer and had decided not to have a videographer. Below is how the call went-- not verbatim, but close enough:

Her: But our prices are half the competition.

Me: I really do appreciate that and I'm sure its great, but we've decided we can't afford it

Her: Well you could just do raw footage, that isn't expensive, its only $[x].

Me: Well, my fiance and I have discussed this and although we agree that wedding videos can be wonderful, we just don't think we want to spend the money right now.

Ok so this is where it gets good...

Her: But how will you remember your wedding?!?!

My internal monologue: Whaaaaat? Who does this lady think she is? I will cut her...

Me: I suppose we'll figure something out.

So she just called me again. Only in North Jersey would someone have the guts to say that, and then call me back a second time to try the same approach!

But actually, this woman did me a favor, because she reminded me how important it is not to get swept up in all the hysteria. We will remember our wedding the old fashioned way- with our memories, our stories, our photos. And if I forget what the table settings looked like, how upset am I really going to be? Isn't the whole point not to dwell on a single day, but to create a lifetime of commitment and love?

(Right now, those who know me are having a good chuckle because I am such a cheeseball).

So how about you? Have you dealt with any nutty vendors?

image source

No comments:

Post a Comment