Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Friendly Fur

It probably won't surprise you to learn I kind of have a thing for the early vintage Barbie outfits. The 1959-1960 clothing that doll owned make me swoon. And the "Enchanted Evening" outfit was a little girl's dream- shiny, pink, pretty. Especially Barbie's fur wrap!

I think Barbie may have gone the faux fur route in more recent years and I respect that, I really do. As the proud mama of two cats, I don't really think we need fur.

But- and maybe this is denial- something about vintage fur makes me feel like its ok to wear, because no new animals were harmed in the process. If I was going to buy new, I'd buy faux. But if its old, I feel ok about it.

And with this justification in mind, I decided to buy a fur to wear with my wedding dress. Hey, its the holidays, and its going to be cold, and I finally have a chance for my very own enchanted evening ensemble. So I'm going to play the "its my special day" card and wear vintage fur!

One of the biggest benefits of wearing vintage is the price. A quick ebay search reveals a lot of great options under $100, some under $20.

And plenty of online retailers carry well-edited collections of vintage fur. Sometimes they are pricier, but generally they're worth it.



source



I am particularly partial to the wraps with higher-contrast. For myself, after much shopping I settled for this pretty blonde wrap- it is light enough in color to feel bridal, but dark enough that I can wear it for other occasions. It doesn't seem like it will go out of style, and its quite wide so it should keep me warm. And it did not come with the brooch in the photo- but I found an even better, bigger, more sparkly piece in an antique shop I plan to use.



Where do you fall on the fur spectrum?

No comments:

Post a Comment