Monday, September 7, 2009

How Fascinating...

I apologize at the outset for the shameless use of the pun.  I couldn't help myself!


Like most people, I've totally fallen in love with the look of the birdcage veils that are all the rage right now.  Those little fascinators with those little veils attached are vintage and glam, but still whimsical!  It was definitely something I considered!  At the end of the day, I decided to borrow a veil- my "something borrowed" from a happily married woman, my bridesmaid H. (don't worry, a posting about the veil is forthcoming)!  But to satisfy my fascinator fix, I decided I would wear one as part of my rehearsal dinner ensemble.  I plan to be entirely overdressed for my wedding rehearsal of course.  And I've asked my bridesmaids to join in the fun by wearing a cute hairpiece, headband or hat!


Looking to tutorials like this one from Wedding Bee, I decided to try my hand at my own hair flower.

For my first step, I found a deep blue silk peony and an ivory silk rose- and I ripped those babies apart!  I also purchased some interesting looking feathers in black and white, and an alligator clip.



Supplies in hand, I began layering the different elements until I had something that I liked, and then I used my trusty hot glue gun to adhere the layers together.  For the crowning glory, I put a small feather pouf in the center- it spoke to me.  I liked it!  But it was still missing something.  So I decided to add a veil.  As per usual, I hit etsy and found some wonderful Swiss dot Russian netting, perfect for my project!




It took several attempts to get the placement of the netting under the flower just right.  I ended up using some thread to gather one edge of the netting, and that helped a lot.  And once it was properly placed, all I had to do was pin and hand-stitch the netting into place.  Success!



My completed fascinator!



From what I have read, I'll need to steam the netting over a volleyball or the like before I wear it- but we did register for a steamer- so I think its going to be perfect!


Did you DIY any of your wedding attire?

1 comment:

  1. I really like this. How long did it take you to make? Also, how much netting would you recommend I purchase to make one? Do you have a photo of how it looks on? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete