Monday, October 19, 2009

Wedding Bands Are In!

wedding ring pics 016Last weekend J. and I picked up our wedding bands!  I'll admit, I am obsessively in love them.  His is a more modern, simple, brushed white gold, whereas mine was custom made to work with my engagement ring, and has a vintage vibe.

True story:  we went to pick up our rings, at I had a very strange reaction.  First, I thought, "wow, I love my ring!"  Then I tried it on and I totally freaked out thought, "wow, its kind of too huge on my hand."  I might be the only girl in the world who prefers delicate to large when it comes to jewelery.  And I wasn't sure if I liked it or not- this very ring that I myself had custom designed and sketched for the jeweler, who took a month to make it.  I started to panic.



wedding ring pics 018I asked the ladies who worked there what they thought.  It didn't help.  They all wore huge jewelery (and it looked nice on them, but I don't think we shared the same taste) and they started saying (in their North Jersey accents), "oh its wonderful, you just need to getcha nails done," "oh honey, you need to get used to big jewels," and so forth.  Nevermind that my nails were actually done, with my favorite Essie Madamoiselle polish and all- they just weren't artificial, and I didn't see getting artificial nails as the solution to this problem.   Meanwhile, poor J. was as white as a sheet, totally unsure of what to say or do.  And I felt bad for putting him through it, but I didn't want to leave the store unsure!!

wedding ring pics 027

So I found another jewelery store customer- one who looked normal and who seemed like the kind of person who shared my taste.  She reassured me that it just felt big because I wasn't used to it, and that she had experienced the same thing.  She whispered that I should go home and try it on without the distractions, to see if I really did like it- and if not, to bring it back.

wedding ring pics 028

To the kind, nameless stranger, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your wisdom.  We took the rings home.  And guess what- after sleeping on it, I realized that in fact, I do love my ring, and it is exactly what I wanted!  I guess I just needed to be sure... I feel that my wedding ring is THE most important symbol of our wedding day, and I don't want to have to make changes to it after the wedding.  I want to wear it my whole life as-is.  And so I think I had put some pressure on myself to have this "ah ha" moment, and instead caused myself to have a panic attack.  But the truth is, I do love it.  So much!  And to celebrate, I decided to take the rings on a little photo shoot!

[caption id="attachment_996" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="all is well that ends well!"]all is well that ends well![/caption]

Did you have any irrational panic attacks during the course of your own wedding planning?

No comments:

Post a Comment