Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Guess Some People Deserve Each Other

Newspaper

I don't normally post mid-day but a friend just sent me an article that was so outrageous I had to share it:

Gross: People Who Reveal in the ‘Vows’ Column How They Cheated on Their Previous Spouse

I secretly love the different ways people react when I tell them J. and I met on the internet superhighway (people's reactions range from "how cool!" to "oh!" while their internal monologue says: I, um, don't know what to say about that...), but I would not love to do so if the story of our romance was more like those in this article.  Indeed, having previously been on the receiving end of such actions (which in the long run, did me major favors but in the short run, hurt like a @*&^*%), I believe it would be like rubbing salt in the wound to have it then publicized to the world this way!

To abbreviate, this article is all about people in the New York Times wedding section who talk about how they met- while cheating on their then-significant others.  Yikes!  And of course, then, the NYT goes and romanticizes the whole thing:

In fact, "Vows" columns such as this are not uncommon. We find they always use the same kind of language. The couple "faced many obstacles to happy romance," they'll say. Their relationship was "complicated." Their "road to love was bumpy." Except one of those bumps was, oops, a [f-ing] person. And that they have taken that person, having run them over, and are now dragging them down their personal road of happiness for miles, laughing gaily as they watch them bump along like some kind of tin can attached to a bumper with streamers, until in the end the ex falls off and is left on the side of the goddamn highway, all bloody and broken and gasping for air.



Double yikes!  I know not all happy endings start that way, but for goodness' sake, people.  Divorces and breakups happen for a variety of excellent reasons, but if a relationship ends on such a hurtful note, and that note happens to be the fault of the cheater, shouldn't that cheater be estopped from publishing their story as if they are the hero?  I know newspapers aren't exactly the keepers of morality, but should the Times have some sort of responsibility to, at a minimum, portray things as they are, and not as some riduculous story of star-crossed lovers?

What do you think?  Overreaction or totally tacky?

image source

No comments:

Post a Comment