Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Today I'm Loving: Vintage Wedding Gowns

So let's say you are like me and you love vintage clothing.  The history, the care, the preservation, it's all so special!  And let's say you are also a budget-conscious bride.  Worried?  You shouldn't be- this dilemma is easily resolved!  Here's my quick list of great places to look for incredible vintage gowns at reasonable prices (all but one of the gowns below are under $1000).  I know, I know, these dresses are generally teenie tiny (JEALOUS of the girl who could wear one of these sans starvation!!), but I've heard through the grapevine that seamstresses are quite capable of making dresses like this larger- and they can do things with some of the less than desirable sleeves you sometimes see- so it's worth the effort.  All images below link to their retail source.  Happy hunting!

Ruby Lane

Ruby Lane is one of my favorite places to shop for antiques- I have scored everything from the perfect 1933 Chicago World's Fair souvenirs for my dad's birthday, to hats from the 1950's and books from the 1920's.  So it comes as no surprise to me that many of the Ruby Lane vendors are carrying wedding gowns.  Just look at this gorgeous gown which hails from the 1940's and is only $145.  I bet it looks a lot better on a real person than on a shapeless dress form.  Not to mention, the antique lace alone has to be worth that price!

[caption id="attachment_2279" align="aligncenter" width="222" caption="Click through to check out the stunning detachable train!"]Click through to check out the stunning detachable train![/caption]

Posh Girl Vintage

The name says it all- this online retailer's collection of fabulous white dresses will blow you away.  Like the dress below, a 1950's eyelet confection which is begging someone to wear it in their backyard wedding!  Just make sure you watch the website often and buy quickly if you love something because these lovelys seem to sell FAST!

[caption id="attachment_2280" align="aligncenter" width="163" caption="1950's White Eyelet Organza Long Dress only $323!!"]1950's White Eyelet Organza Long Dress only $323!![/caption]

The Frock

You are going to melt when you see the goodness over at The Frock.  A well-edited collection of high-style, high-quality vintage gowns that will knock your socks off!  If you've got the cash, they've got the goods.  For example...




[caption id="attachment_2281" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="This Harlowe Era Fantasy gown is from 1930 and will set you back $4700 big ones. But oh my."]This Harlowe Era Fantasy gown is from 1930 and will set you back $4700 big ones.  But oh my.[/caption]

Cherished Bride


Much like the Frock but at lower price points, Cherished Bride has incredible offerings, all in ready to wear condition!  Right now, I'm drooling over this 1930's masterpiece of structured, art deco magic.





[caption id="attachment_2282" align="aligncenter" width="228" caption="And at $750, I think most people I know will be drooling too."]And at $750, I think most people I know will be drooling too.[/caption]

Etsy


Last but not least, every girl's go-to resource for all things fabulous- etsy!  In particular, I recommend you check out Timeless Vixen Vintage if you want to drool some more.  I'm not even going to waste any more time discussing-- I'm getting to the good stuff-- just click the images for links to the store!





[caption id="attachment_2283" align="aligncenter" width="223" caption="There are about 8,000 things I love about this dress. Including the price: $325"]There are about 8,000 things I love about this dress.  Including the price: $325[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2284" align="aligncenter" width="191" caption="Sweet pink perfection, and only $660"]Sweet pink perfection, and only $660[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2285" align="aligncenter" width="233" caption="In the words of Rachel Zoe, I DIE. I DIE.  $325"]In the words of Rachel Zoe, I DIE.  I DIE.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2286" align="aligncenter" width="202" caption="Such a shame I can't wear white to someone else's wedding- I don't know where else I would wear this. But I heart it. $410"]Such a shame I can't wear white to someone else's wedding- I don't know where else I would wear this.  But I heart it.  $410[/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment