Monday, March 22, 2010

The Moments of a Lifetime: Our Ceremony!

Once again, these fabulous photos are courtesy of Jessica Morrisy!

Well, we all made it down the aisle and nobody fell!  Bridesmaid R. said she nearly did (whoops, aisle runner!) but graceful as she is I'm sure nobody knew.   And my dad walked me down nice and slowly, so as to savor the moment and also to help me keep my balance!  It was so nice to see all the amazing people in our lives who came to show us their support and witness our marriage.  I was overwhelmed!  But something happened when I got to the end of that aisle-- J. and I sort of went into this perfect "bubble" and I barely noticed anyone else for the rest of the ceremony!

The pastor began with a welcome, and then the congregation was invited to sing a hymn (we chose "Joyful Joyful" by Mozart).  I'm not sure how thrilled our bridal party was to be singing, but they pretended well.  And given that I come from such a musical family, it couldn't have been any different!  I sang my heart out and it calmed whatever nerves I had left.  I still remember the feeling, it was incredible!


Next came the questions of the parents.  I loved that the pastor allowed us to customize this part of the ceremony such that questions were asked of both J.'s parents AND mine.  I can't stand the idea of a woman being "given away" like livestock (no offense to you traditionalists out there!  I see the romance, even if it doesn't work for me).  But I adore the idea of entering into marriage with a public declaration of support from the parents of the bride and groom.  I think it was a teary moment for all of us!  And then, my dad raised my veil and gave me a hug.  (Yes, awwwwwe!)



Next, readings from my dear friend J. who read from the Song of Ruth ("where thou go I will go...") and J.'s cousin B. who read from I Corinthians ("Love is patient, love is kind...").



Followed by the homily.  One of the reasons I really liked our pastor was because he was so intelligent.  His homily was about us and not simply some regurgitation of whateverpeopletalkabout.  He spoke about the importance of being individuals, not just of being a couple.  Of finding unity though our differences, and allowing each other the space to be the people we are- and using those differences to find strength together.  For two people who lived a fair amount of life before finding each other, it was beautiful, poignant, and perfect.



And by the way, remember that aisle runner I made?  Turned out pretty great, huh?



Ok ok, back to the important stuff.  Some prayer, followed by vows.



J. said his vows so loudly and clearly, it literally brought me (and him) to tears.  By the time it was my turn, I could barely get them out.  But I did!



And then the rings.  We had them engraved with a private message, and our wedding date.  And we even put them on the correct fingers!



Then, more prayer followed by the lighting of our unity candle.  At this point, I was trying hard to savor every second, because I knew the ceremony was coming to a close!



And then, the best possible thing happened.  We were pronounced husband and wife.  We kissed!  And then, "Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Mr. and Mrs. J... MISPRONOUNCED LAST NAME!"  Um, what?!  Hilarity ensued!  It was the first of many mispronunciations I expect are in my future, now that I have a new last name.  But I don't mind AT ALL.  We got a great memory and a great photo out of it!!



We were married!  Hooray!



And how did we get here?  Checking InPractice Makes Perfect: The Rehearsal!; The Rehearsal Dinner!; The Rehearsal Dinner Slide Show; Girls Gone Wild!; Got Mah Hairs Did; The Guys Get Groomed; The Girls Get Glammed!; Get Me To The Church on Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment