Saturday, August 29, 2009

With this Ring!

Today J. and I hit a major milestone. We put our deposit down on our wedding rings! But finding and deciding on the right ones was not as easy as it sounds. The good news is that there is a lot of selection out there in every price point. The bad news is that there is a lot of selection out there in every price point. Aayayay too many choices!

You probably feel really sorry for us, huh?

We started by looking at the local mall just to get a sense of the market and what is out there. We found some nice looking contenders for me at reasonable prices. For example, a simple white gold band its not at all costly, but its simplicity is quite pretty- and I could wear it riding horses.





We tried some other more sparkly bands for me, but none were quire right, as pretty as they were. So instead of spinning too many wheels on my ring, we moved on to John's ring. At first, J. found that he was drawn to hammered styles, about 6mm thick.


After doing some research, we found a great many affordable hammered rings on etsy for very reasonable prices. We almost settled on one of them. But not being able to try things in advance made us both a little nervous- what if the fit was off? What if it felt uncomfortable to wear? What if that .00001% chance applied to us and our etsy seller turned out to be a riper-offer? Irrational fear, I know, but still.


So we went back to the jeweler who made the engagement ring and talked to our friend Kiki, our salesperson. After telling her our likes and dislikes (and our budget), we looked at some options and came up with a perfect plan.

J. chose a matte white gold ring because although the hammered styles were gorgeous, this felt more classic, and not likely to go out of style. Plus, J. felt it was comfortable, which was key.


And after all my debate, I decided on a ring to match my engagement ring. It has some pretty filigree work in the profile and pave diamonds with milgrain trim on the band. Since my engagement ring has a pear center stone, we decided on a wrap-around band, so that my engagement ring will sit flush with my wedding band. At first, I wasn't sure about not being able to wear it when riding horses, etc., but J. and I talked about it and I realized, it doesn't make me any less married if I forgo wearing it while riding.





This ring from Tacori, is a lot like the one I'll have, with some small variations (my bling will only cover half the band, and will curve to "hug" my center stone).


And this is what I'll be wearing it with!
Photo by Jessica Morrisy


Both wedding bands will be engraved with a personal sentiment too. I can't wait to see how they turn out! Now I just need to find the perfect ring pillow, obviously!


Do you ever change your mind a few times before big purchases?

No comments:

Post a Comment