Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shoes, Glorious Shoes

Most women like shoes. Indeed, most of us love shoes. Iconic beauties like Carrie Bradshaw's "Something Blue" Manolo's have haunted my dreams ever since I saw the Sex and the City movie. And oh what pleasant dreams they were!









But not everyone can afford to, or wishes to, shell out the $945 for a shoe that isn't quite practical. I know people who believe that if you're going to spend that much on shoes, they'd better be able to make you dinner.


But don't lose heart ladies! There are workarounds! Dyeable shoes are making a comeback, and these are not your 1980's matchy-matchies. Lela Rose recently designed a line of very reasonable, dyeable shoes for Payless and from what I hear, they're actually pretty comfy. And if you want to spend more than $25 but less than $945, My Glass Slipper has a great selection of dyeables from Kate Spade, Badgley Mischka, Cole Haan, and more, for price points in the $200-300 range.




At $25 from Payless these would look great in blue!




If I thought I could actually walk in these Badgley Mischka's, I'd have bought them already! ($215)


So let's say you love the idea of a wedding-shoe splurge but you want to make sure your shoes are re-wearable. One thing you might want to consider is adding shoe clips to your wedding attire. And I'm not talking about the clip on bows we all used to throw on our mary-janes when we were kids. Oh no, today you can find the most lovely shoe clips, vintage and new, studded with rhinestones, feathers, fabrics and more. I'll save my own shoes for another posting, but suffice it to say, a great pair of vintage shoes, and a great pair of art deco shoe clips can be restored by the experts more easily than you think, and for less than you'd expect!


















If you happen to have a pair of clip-on earrings that you love, I bet you could incorporate them the same way. My grandmother used to wear clip-ons because she thought ear-piercing was "barbaric." I never quite understood why it was ok to look like you had barbarically pierced your ears, so long as you didn't actually do so (but I digress). A great pair of costume jewelery earrings might be just the right thing for a cute pair of shoes!







What kind of shoes will you wear for your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment