Monday, August 31, 2009

A Topper that Takes the Cake

J. and I will soon be tasting some cake from our bakery, Le Petit Gateau, and when we do we'll also be making some decisions about what the cake will look like. We agreed early on that J. can choose what's on the inside of the cake, so long as I get to choose what's on the outside. I think that's fair, right?

So one of the things I've been thinking about is how to top our cake! And I've had a really good time figuring this one out!



Um, does anyone else think this dude looks uncannily like J.? We couldn't stop laughing when we saw it! We seriously considered whether we were willing to have these on top of our cake since, but in the end, we were unsure whether anyone else would think it was as funny as we do. We think its hilarious...



This next topper is from Bethany Love and I was pretty sure for a while that this was "the one." But there's just too much eye candy out there to choose too early so I kept thinking about it.



I also checked out all the vintage goodies on ebay and various antique websites, for example, this delicate topper dates from around the 1930's. If we had one of these heirlooms in the family I'd be all over it. We don't have anything quite this old in our family, but while talking to my mom about my oh-so-serious cake topper dilemma, she had a great idea!

When I was little, my parents spent a lot of time buying and selling antiques, and when I was along for the ride, I started collecting antique dolls as a way to entertain myself. Over the years, my mom and I amassed quite a collection, which we've since edited down, but I still have my favorite dolls. I get made fun of a LOT for this. Anyhow, one year when I was maybe nine, she put these little guys in my Easter basket.


Are they not the cutest thing ever? They are carnival dolls, a bride and groom from the 1930's made in the Kewpie style. They are extraordinarily fragile, made of thin celluloid and covered in tissue and fabric- materials that were delicate 80 years ago, and are wispy now. I was so excited when my mom suggested I use them that my heart skipped a beat! I'm going to have to figure out a way to get them on a stand of some sort so that they don't get damaged and don't tip over. And since celluloid will explode if too close to heat, I'm also going to have to remember to tell the baker, coordinator, and reception location about that small detail. But I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!

How would you top a cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment