Friday, August 28, 2009

A Way To Say Thanks

I know I know, nothing is less necessary than wedding favors. And often in lieu of favors, couples will make a donation to charity instead. I love this idea, and we're going to make a charitable donation, probably to a charity my brother helped start with his college pals called Resolve Uganda (formerly Uganda CAN), an organization whose aim is to achieve peace in war torn Uganda , to promote a better standard of living and human dignity for those who live there.

But I'm a crafty gal and I couldn't not do favors. So I'm making favors for each of our guests to take home. A small way for J. and I to say "thank you" to all those who've gone to such great lengths to join us!

I like to cook, and J. likes to eat what I cook, so the idea of incorporating a food theme made sense to us. And what food says "holidays" better than a Christmas cookie? The idea of gifting cookie cutters was born, and off I went to do the usual research. While copper cookie cutters are expensive and lovely, I found you can get equally cute tin cookie cutters for a fraction of the cost. So order I did! In four styles: a gingerbread man, a tree, a mitten, and a snowflake.



By ordering four styles, hopefully everyone will get to take home one they like- and couples won't have to take home an identical favor. I was pleased with the look of them and J. was pleased I'd stayed on-budget! Score!

Source



Still, something was missing. I could not just smack these on the tables and expect people to understand that they were favors. So when I found these adorable miniature blown glass ornaments on sale at Pottery Barn (originally intended as vase filler) I snapped up as many as I could!


image source



These ornaments will be tied to the cookie cutters before I chuck them into my cheap bags that don't look cheap, with some green tissue, and a gold foil circle with our monogram embossed on the front (oh yeah, I have a great embosser, and I'll tell you all about it one of these days).

Oh but I still did not stop there. How can you give out cookie cutters and not also give out a recipe for cookies? Clearly I needed to find a good way to make recipe cards on the cheap. VistaPrint postcards to the rescue! I made these using a recipe I found on the food network, leaving the back of the postcard (the part where the message and address normally go) entirely blank. J. and I will hand write a short "thank you" on the back of each before we bag these with the cookie cutters.

Cookie card
Our recipe card, made on VistaPrint...(please excuse my sad excuse for a redaction- I'm still learning).


I hope the guests like these. I know J. and I do!

Are you giving out favors for your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment