Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Something Old: My Hair Flower

When my mother was married, she wore a very cute halo-styled hairpiece made from a lovely ivory silk tafetta.  It didn't quite work with my dress, but the color and fabric were spot on, and so I literally jumped for joy when she said I could take some flowers off of it to wear in my hair on my wedding day.  The perfect "something old"!

So here's what I started with...

[caption id="attachment_1631" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="My momma's hair piece."]My momma's hair piece.[/caption]

I decided that two hair flowers would be just right.  They were, fortunately, hot glued on and so they were easy to remove (and after, will be easy to put back).  At my hair trial, my stylist suggested I put them on a comb, so I did exactly that.  I had to cut some of the fabric from the back of each flower to take out some of the "poufiness" so that they would lay flatter against my head, and then I took ivory ribbon and sewed it to the bottom of the flowers to hide the raw fabric edges.  Then I stitched them onto a clear comb (purchased in a package of 12 at the craft store for $1.99).  The end result will be absolutely perfect with my veil and dress.  And in less than two weeks, I'll get to wear it!

[caption id="attachment_1630" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="My "something old"!"]My "something old"![/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1628" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Detail of the sewing on the comb."]Detail of the sewing on the comb.[/caption]

Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment