Thursday, December 3, 2009

Houston, We Have A Videographer

600x600_1254498103264-003WED437You'll have to forgive me but I recently had a brain fart and totally forgot to blog about the best thing that has ever happened to me ever, of the lifetime.  Ok, ok, exaggerating.  But seriously, SO good!   

You may recall that back in the day when J. and I were budgeting, we found that we did not have enough budget for videography.  Most places in our area start at about $1500, and I didn't even like most of them.  So we figured we'd make do with just photos.  People have been doing it for years, right?

But for the sake of at least trying, I put up a couple of classified ads on Craigslist and WeddingBee's New York local board.  In my ad, I said that J. and I were looking for a videographer, and would be ok working with someone starting out, but that we had a very small amount of money to spend (I did say the exact amount in my ad, and I expressly stated that I knew what I wanted to pay was unrealistic).  My Craigslist ad expired, twice, with no response, and I got some suggestions from WeddingBee like "check local film schools for students" but it just didn't seem worth the effort.  I let it go, and decided to simply accept that videography wouldn't happen.  I was ok with that.

Fast forward 4 months.  My WeddingBee inquiry worked.  I got an email from Luke Barber-Smith at True Love Photo & Video and he was willing to work with us!  Luke has been photographing weddings for a while, but has only recently gotten into the video world, so that was why he was willing to work with our budget.  My reaction: this talented, very nice guy wants to do our wedding, and he's not a prison convict?  SCORE! 

Furthermore, Luke's work is excellent.  I highly recommend you go check him out.  He's got a great eye for realism, and he photographs people as they are, with great beauty.  On top of that, he was really cool, and I enjoyed meeting with him.  My general vendor test is whether I'd want to be that person's friend- highly scientific- and he passed with flying colors!

So yep, we found a videographer!  The lesson here is that it really can pay to do your research.  Post on those blog boards ladies, and don't give up if you really want something.

image source: True Love Photo & Video, via WeddingWire

No comments:

Post a Comment