Friday, December 4, 2009

Choosing A Bridal Scent

I don't want to simply look good on my wedding day (though I definitely want to look good).  I also want to smell good.  And although I have a slew of lovely fragrance bottles gracing the top of my shabby-chic'd dresser, I want to wear something else that day.  Something that makes J. pause and say, "hey that smells amazing!"  Something that will always remind me of the big day whenever I smell it.

So choosing the right wedding day fragrance became yet another project on my "to do" list.  One of the first thoughts I had was to try Estee Lauder's Beautiful Sheer.  Regular Beautiful (the one with the ads you see with the brides and all the flower girls!) just doesn't smell good on me, but Sheer smells like rose petals to me.  And it comes in a cute, frosty pink bottle.  They even sell it at the Estee Lauder Company Store near my office, so I could have gotten a bargain on it.  Only one problem: I've liked it for a long time.  Meaning, I'm a little tired of it.  So sad.

[caption id="attachment_1606" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="I especially love this formula, the mist!"]I especially love this formula, the mist![/caption]

After ruling out Beautiful Sheer, I decided to hit up Henri Bendel.  The second floor has an amazing perfumerie with scents from around the world, especially Paris.  And Parisian fragrances do smell different.  My theory is that it's because those fragrances have been around for a long time (and a long time ago, people bathed less, so stronger smells were probably helpful).  But that's just my theory.  Anyways, the fragrance, Child, is sold at Bendel's and I've always loved it on my friend with its bright floral notes and soft undertones.  Sadly it just smelled on me.

[caption id="attachment_1607" align="aligncenter" width="200" caption="Sleek, simple, lovely. Just not on me."]Sleek, simple, lovely.  Just not on me.[/caption]

However, Bendel's did carry one fragrance that I fell head over heels for.  It is called La Chasse Aux Papillons (translates as "chasing butterflies") EDT and it is from L'Artisan Parfumeur.  The Parfum didn't smell quite right on me, but the EDT was perfect- it had something to do with different ratios of rose versus tuberose.  And the bottle was so vintage, so French, so pretty!  I was almost sold, but figured I'd better let J. smell it first.  And when I got home... he did not like it.  Woe is me!

[caption id="attachment_1608" align="aligncenter" width="180" caption="bergamot, lemon, pink pepper, orange blossom, lemon blossom, linden blossom, tuberose, jasmine, ylang-ylang"]bergamot, lemon, pink pepper, orange blossom, lemon blossom, linden blossom, tuberose, jasmine, ylang-ylang[/caption]

Fortunately, J. had actually done his research and had found another fragrance he loved: Victor & Rolf's Flower Bomb.  So we went out and tried it, and thankfully I loved it too!  It had many of the fragrance notes of La Chasse Aux Papillons but it smelled a bit more youthful, with brighter floral notes.  It was perfect.  It was a little pricey, but my mother purchased it as a gift for my 30th, so I could enjoy it guilt free!  It was a perfect birthday gift- I refuse to wear it until at least our rehearsal, but I'm literally counting down the days. 

[caption id="attachment_1609" align="aligncenter" width="286" caption=""It starts with lots of sugar candy and a bit of citrus, and dries down to a sweet, slightly vanillic dessert of amber and patchouli. It is very smooth and creamy, with no hard edges...""]"It starts with lots of sugar candy and a bit of citrus, and dries down to a sweet, slightly vanillic dessert of amber and patchouli. It is very smooth and creamy, with no hard edges..."[/caption]

Will you choose a signature wedding scent??

No comments:

Post a Comment