Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Mad Men Breakfast (Without Booze & Cigs)



We're baaaaack!  Oh.  Mah.  Lord!  So much to share!  But while I gather photos and process all the good stuff that happened, I'm going to start by recapping some of the other wedding details I couldn't  blog about in advance or didn't have time to blog about yet!  So today, I'll kick things off with the breakfast invitation we ended up using.  As you probably already noticed, I'm a huge fan of Vista Print, mostly because their prices are so ridiculously good, and so I turned there first when trying to design an invitation.  I looked at the actual cards and invitations, but because they were a hair pricier than I preferred, I decided to try to think outside the box.  I looked at menus and postcards, but ultimately found rack cards which are supposed to be for advertising, but had a great verticle shape that could easily be turned into an invitation!





So next, I began thinking about how to design the actual invite.  I originally had considered victorian postcards, but then I had an "ah-ha" moment.  I love the show Mad Men.  Everyone else I know does too.  So why not try to go with a vintage breakfast advertisement-theme?  So I ran some google searches and found this


[caption id="attachment_1685" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Circa 1954, from A&P"]Circa 1954, from A&PP[/caption]


Hello Perfection!  Others I liked included this (Sanka ad), this (sheets ad) and this (mildy disturbing and yet somehow hilarious Chase and Sandborn ad):

[caption id="attachment_1686" align="aligncenter" width="224" caption="Sanka, circa 1960"]Sanka, circa 1960[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1687" align="aligncenter" width="231" caption="Pacific Sheets, from the same era"]Pacific Sheets, from the same era[/caption]

 



Well, it WAS the age of repression, I think?
Well, it WAS the age of repression, I think?
Ultimately, however, the first ad won out, so I did a little photoshopping and viola!  Our breakfast invite was born!

[caption id="attachment_1689" align="aligncenter" width="138" caption="Thank you Photoshop and Vista Print!"]Thank you Photoshop and Vista Print![/caption]

 Would you incorporate Mad Men inspiration into your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment