Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Scaling Back The Hair Flower

While I'm on the subject this week of DIY projects that I didn't nail on the first try, I thought I would also discuss my fascinator.  You might recall from my past tutorial that I made this lovely little fascinator originally to wear at our wedding rehearsal.

[caption id="attachment_1243" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Hair Flower v. 1.0"]Hair Flower v. 1.0[/caption]

And I liked it!  But I didn't luuurve it.  J. made the comment that it looked a little "costume-esque" and though I was loathe to admit it, he was probably right.  I don't mind the idea of wearing a statement piece, but it was fairly large and was kind of "wearing me" ifyouknowwhatImean.  I don't want to look back and think gee I looked like a fashion victim at my wedding rehearsal.  Plus, I purchased a new rehearsal dress, and this flower no longer went very well with the ensemble.

But I still liked the flower, so I decided to give it a makeover.  I removed the netting and the bottom two layers of petals entirely.  I used scissors to cut down the size of a few petals, and I put a much smaller piece of netting back on but in a gathered, layered manner- no longer being used as a face veil.

[caption id="attachment_1244" align="aligncenter" width="298" caption="Hair flower v. 2.0"]Hair flower v. 2.0[/caption]

Better right?  I feel better wearing it, for sure.  You may notice in the photo that I also found a lone rhinestone in my jewelry box, which found its way to the center of this flower.  I think it adds just the right little something.  Possibly this is all in my head.  I don't mind!

[caption id="attachment_1245" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Yep, much better."]Yep, much better.[/caption]

Hopefully now I can put this project to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment