Thursday, July 29, 2010

We're Moving!


Wow, it's hard to believe that we're moving today, but we really are.  It's kind of incredible to remember how we got to this day.  I bought my condo in March of 2008, tried to sell it between January and June of 2010, failed, and decided to list it on the rental market instead.  In the mean time, J. and I have been working nights and weekends to renovate his house, one we've had a tenant living in for the past 2 years.  It has been a ton of work.  A ton.  We are both absolutely exhausted and that doesn't even count the pending moving exhaustion we're sure to feel later today!

So with all that said, you'd think I'd be too distracted to notice the small part of me that's feeling sad to leave.  I am not a person who feels nostalgic about everything- I have moved many times and never felt much sense of loss.  I try to follow that time-tested cliche: it's best to live life looking forward and not backward.  But something about this move is different... a significant slice of my life took place in this condo- it's the place J. and I first lived together, where we got engaged, and where we began our married life.  I already miss seeing the pictures on the walls, snuggling in front of the fireplace, or sneaking down to the pool after a thunderstorm before everyone else figures out the pool is open again.  And I will miss the way this house is pure, unadulterated "me."

But.

The new house is a force to be reckoned with and together, J. and I have put our stamp all over it.  It has original subway bathroom tiles, fabulous hardwood flooring, adorable architectural features like arches, and period-appropriate schoolhouse light fixtures throughout.  We have demolished, polished, sanded, patched, stained, painted, weeded, and installed this house to near-perfection.  Enough is done that we can move in, and enough is left to do to keep us interested (hello yard!)!  It's the kind of old, shopworn, creaky old house that I grew up in- the kind of house that really gets me.  This house has a story to tell.  I'm excited to figure out that story, even if the story starts out, "once upon a time there was a house whose previous owner was bad at fixing things properly..."

I will try to share some before-and-after photos with you guys soon!  But in the mean time, onward I go!

image source

No comments:

Post a Comment