Friday, July 2, 2010

One Woman's Trash...

Is another's treasure?  This isn't generally a phrase I think of when it comes to weddings.  But I recently stumbled upon a new wedding resource, I Do Now I Don't, and I was intrigued.  The founder first got the idea when his engagement didn't work out.  What to do with the ring?  Well, apparently due to the retail markup on jewelry, the retailer wouldn't give much of a refund back, so he found another way to sell the ring and his website was born!


Of course, not all the jewelery on the website has such a sad story, but it's really such a great idea.  You can buy rings, obviously, but they also sell other jewelery and even wedding gowns.  And the site seems to have a lot of built in protections so buyers and sellers feel safe.


The flip side of buying a ring with a prior story, is that some people are certain to fear passage of a "bad karma" but really, it's just an object right?  The meaning only comes from what you assign to it.  Seems like a great idea to me!  The sellers get more return on their investment than they'd get at a jeweler, and the buyers get more bang for their buck.


What do you think, assuming quality isn't an issue, would you feel comfortable buying a ring from I Do Now I Don't?  I kind of think I'd be ok with it, and then I'd be even more ok with taking the money I saved and spending it on a honeymoon upgrade!  Plus, isn't there something to be said for taking a found object and giving it a new life?  I usually think of this concept in the context of home improvement (salvage an old dresser!) but why not bigger ticket sparkly objects too?


(By the way, I'm not getting comped for this post, I'm just interested!  And all images link to their source.)

No comments:

Post a Comment